This Blog is a work in progress. Glad your here though!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spaghetti Squash

I have never liked the idea of squash but for some reason when I saw this post on 11th Heaven I HAD to try it! It's a post on Spaghetti Squash which I haven't heard about before. I found some in Winco and bought it right a way! Here's something really cool about Spaghetti Squash:

A dieter's dream, a four-ounce serving of spaghetti squash has only 37 calories. Fabulousfoods.com


The big question that everybody keeps asking is to cut or not to cut before cooking? You can do it either way. Here are the pros and cons of each and how to cook it.

Cutting Up Spaghetti Squash
Advantages to cutting the spaghetti squash up before cooking: It cooks faster.
Disadvantages: Like any winter squash, hacking it up takes muscle and a sharp knife or cleaver. It's also a bit more work to scrape out the seeds and pulp when they are raw.
Cooking:
  1. Just get in there and cut it in half (lengthwise) or quarters. You don't want to cut it up too small unless you want short strands.
  2. Scrape out the seeds and pulp as you would with any squash or pumpkin.
  3. Rub the inside of the Squash with oil. Also sprinkle with some pepper and salt.
  4. Bake: rind side up, about 30 to 40 minutes at 375 F. Microwave: rind side up, 6 to 8 minutes (let stand for a few minutes afterwards). Boil: 20 minutes or so.
  5. Separate strands by running a fork through in the "from stem to stern" direction.

Cooking Spaghetti Squash Whole
Advantages to cooking the squash whole: It's easier.
Disadvantages: It takes longer to cook, and you need to watch out for burns when removing the pulp and seeds.
Cooking:

  1. Pierce the squash several times with a sharp knife. (Do this especially if you're microwaving it, or you may end up with a "Squash Explosion.")
  2. Bake: about an hour in the oven at 375 F. Microwave: 10 to 12 minutes, then let stand for 5 minutes or so afterwards to finish steaming. Boil: for half an hour or so. Slow Cooker/Crock Pot: Put it in with a cup of water and let it go on low all day (8 to 10 hours).
  3. When done, cut open "at the equator", remove seeds and pulp (You can use tongs and an oven mitt -- it is HOT)
  4. Separate strands with a fork.
Another cool tip: Any squash seeds can be roasted just like pumpkin seeds! They are low-carb, nutritious, and delicious: How To Roast Pumpkin or Squash Seeds I love roasted pumpkin seeds!

Here's the squash I used to make spaghetti! I was amazed at how the squash's insides turned into strings like spaghetti! It was really easy to make. One half of the squash filled one of my bowls. Luke had a bowl and so did I.


We put spaghetti sauce and cheese on the squash.


I have to admit this was not one of my favorite receipts. Luke did not like it either, he ate it all but you could tell by his face he wasn't impressed. It was pretty cool that this squash looked like spaghetti but it didn't taste that great. I think it was too crunchy and I don't like squash.

Good luck if you're trying this receipt. I'm sure someone will like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Comments let me know that you're here and reading my blog. Thank you! Camille